3 Differences Between Intermediate and Advanced Skiers
Kaylin reached the top levels of the sport and now works with skiers from all kinds of abilities when she's not tearing it up on the big mountain scene.
We caught up with her to ask what are the 3 main differences between intermediate and advanced skiers that she sees in her training.
While the answers may not surprise you, the importance of focussing on these three things if you are an intermediate shouldn't be understated.
The mental side of skiing is often forgotten in the many technical tutorials, so we're happy to hear Kaylin talk about the importance of your confidence and mental game when you're trying to progress. Remember, skiing is an unnatural experience for most people as they learn, so we have to find ways to mentally acclimatise to the speed and angles required to ski well.
Kaylin's top 3 tips
- Lift your hips up and forward to get to the front of the boot and take control of your skis. Be wary of bending your knees and sitting backwards, while thinking you are forwards!
- When conditions change, remember to attack the slope to counteract your natural defensiveness. Get the hands and hips forward.
- Prepare mentally for new or tough conditions. If you start skiing without doing this, you'll be off balance from the start, you'll struggle to turn well and will lose more confidence!
"Give yourself some positive self-talk. Say, I've got this!"
Carv Tip: Focus on your forward balance when conditions get harder
Carv has a couple of great features to help you notice and correct your forward balance. Check out your run-by-run Ski:IQ scores, do you notice your balance scoring lower than other metrics? If so, try one of the following:
- Balance monitor - starting a new, tricky run? Turn on balance monitor for a live feed of your forward lean, every turn, into your headphones. The data doesn't lie and will help you feel when you've got the right forward pressure. Aim for above 40%. 55% is ideal.
- Balance skill development - if you know you've lost some technique, take it back a notch! Stop, turn on balance skill development on an easy level and ski with each turn being scored in real-time. Carv will guide your forwards stance with helpful audio prompts to focus you on specific techniques as you ski. You'll find your correct position quickly and regain your confidence.
Remember these tips and you'll be progressing your technique every day, come fog, moguls or perfect bluebird skies.