Do you have a passion for good design, an interest in sports coaching and a love for skiing? We are searching for our first full-time designer who can take this business to the next level and if this intro excites you then you’re in the right place.
About Carv & Motion Metrics
Motion Metrics Ltd is a London-based, sports technology start-up with offices in London (UK), Innsbruck (Austria) and Shenzhen (China). Our first product is Carv, the world's first digital ski coach. Our smart inserts and trackers retrofit to any ski boot to measure motion (in 9-axis) and pressure data; this is then processed via our iOS or Android app to provide real time coaching.
We have worked with top-level instructors from PSIA (The Professional Ski Instructors of America), CSIA (Canadian Ski Instructors Association) & Interski to create algorithms that effectively assess ski technique. Carv gives real-time feedback through headphones to help you take your skiing to the next level through the provision of practical, skier-specific improvements.
Carv has the capacity to transform ski technique by providing one-on-one coaching for each day of skiing and we are able to take the learning of thousands of athletes and use it to improve the technique of an individual skier in fun, interactive and effective ways. Carv is pioneering a new type of sports wearable device within the fast-growing sports-tech industry. Up until now, sports wearables have focused on tracking and motivation but Carv does more, offering a teaching and coaching service, forging a new path within this sector.
This role plays a vital part in our business, supporting innovation in our product through understanding our customers, diagnosing frictions in the app, and designing beautiful, empathetic and exciting solutions for Carv's digital coaching platform. You will work within a collaborative, cross-functional team consisting of developers, product managers and data scientists to help thousands of skiers around the world to improve their technique.
At Carv you will:
- Have full ownership of the design for the native iOS & Android apps, creating a consistent look and feel across all touchpoints, stretching beyond just the screen and including the Carv Voice, push notifications and more.
- Get to know our customers better than anyone else by undertaking remote and in person research to understand the customer, their journey and the outcomes they are striving for. Going skiing with our users is actively encouraged!
- Collaborate with lots of other parts of the business. Leading workshops, facilitating good discussions and generating ideas with staff, instructors and customers alike. We do not work in silo’d teams and want to build great products combining multiple people’s viewpoints.
- Shape the coaching for thousands of skiers all over the world by working with world class instructors to design the right intervention at the right time, explaining complex ideas in ways that can be understood by anyone, while on a chair lift, even in a white out.
- 2+ years experience in a design role
- Experience in native app design
- Experience running remote and in-person user testing & user research sessions
- Experienced collaborator who is comfortable running workshops & ideation sessions
- Passionate about skiing
- Experience in Sports, Gaming, Educational or other related sectors
- Sports Coaching/Ski Instruction experience
- Data visualisation experience
Location is flexible with the option to be fully remote if desired. Should you wish to work on site, our main office in London is a short walk from Vauxhall. You may also make use of our mountain office, in the centre of Innsbruck, Austria where we have company accommodation which can be used for short periods of time year round. As part of your role you will get the opportunity to travel to different places to ski with the product so there will be occasional international travel, government regulations permitting.
- £35k - £55k
- Gear budget for work-related / skiing purchases
- Option to work from our mountain office in Innsbruck, and use of Carv’s accommodation there any time of year.
To apply, please send a CV, design portfolio and cover email (no more than 250 words) to email@example.com.