Rust Backend Engineer
We are looking for a passionate Rust Engineer to develop and maintain the engine and server backend powering Carv’s digital ski coach so we can help everyone ski better.
Our product is a digital ski coach - Carv. By leveraging the latest in sensing technology and machine learning, Carv, teaches you better skiing technique to improve your time on the slopes. The Carv hardware retrofits to any ski boot to measure pressure and motion, data is then processed by your smartphone to deliver detailed in-app analysis and real-time coaching through headphones.
About Carv and Motion Metrics
Carv has been used by 10,000s of skiers and Carv’s unique teaching experience has a had an awesome reception from users and the press alike - to quote just two:
- “The biggest testament to Carv’s coaching abilities is that I could see my skiing improving in only a few hours.” - 5* review in Stuff Magazine
- “Carv is surprisingly addictive” - Financial Times
Looking to the future, we envisage a new channel for Carv - rental. Currently all of our customers have purchased the device through our website to fit to their boots, but the rental market accounts for 80% of skiers on the mountain.
The ideal candidate will be a skier who has a strong experience in sales and project management to lead the development of our new Carv rental division.
About the role
You will be working with a tight knit team of people who take pride in producing high quality work. Your primary focus will be to own the delivery of Carv’s backend server and data processing engine.
The successful candidate will have a passion for engineering, as well as sports, finding the right tool for the job, and making an impact on the business.
In the role, you will:
- Work directly with the CTO
- Have full ownership of the Rust server backend
- Work on the data processing engine
- Test your creation on the slopes!
Our candidate is someone who has:
- 6 months+ of developing in Rust
- Always looking into new technologies to improve their productivity and code quality
- Experience with webserver development and deployment in Rust (HTTP and/or gRPC)
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with data processing
The following will be a bonus:
- Experience with Python
- Experience with Typescript
- Experience with Kubernetes
Our head office is in Brixton, London where most of the team are based throughout the year.
Over winter, you’ll have the opportunity to work from our Mountain HQ in Innsbruck, Austria with access to some of the world’s best ski resorts. You’ll also have access to the company flat out of peak skiing season.
- £30-55k, depending on experience, with potential for options
- Gear budget for work-related / enhancing purchases
- Option to work from Innsbruck office, and use of Carv’s accommodation there
To apply, please send a CV and cover email (no more than 250 words) to email@example.com.