Best 5 Ski Gadgets for 2023/24 season
As the winter season quickly approaches, we want to highlight the best gadgets that can elevate your experience on the slopes. With technology making rapid advancements, ski enthusiasts can access an array of innovative technology. And since we're pushing the boundaries of ski gadgetry every day here at Carv, its a topic close to our heart.
The following ski gadgets can not only enhance your time on the slopes but make your time skiing even more fun and exciting. In this article, we’ll spotlight the best ski gadgets in the industry. From cutting edge wearable tech to high definition action cameras, we’ve got you covered.
Let’s reminisce about last season and dream about an even bigger and better season to come.
OK, so we'd be remiss if we didn't consider Carv the ultimate ski gadget - it's something we spend every day of the year working on. Carv is a detailed technique performance wearable, giving you personalized technique analysis and literally teaching you how to ski better with real-time audio coaching.
How does it work?
Carv is an ultra-thin wearable insert that fits in any ski boot. This insert measures your motion and pressure to analyse your ski technique 20 times a second. We spent years designing it to fit in performance, custom moulded boots - even ones with insoles. Learn how we did it.
Carv is the world's most powerful system of technique performance analysis - powered by 400 million turns of ski data - giving you benchmarks against the a huge range skiers around the world. The system delivers personalised training built with the best, including 5x world champion Ted Ligety, to help you find your next level.
Carv’s best features
1. Real time audio feedback: Carv provides personalised, real time audio tips through your phone while you ski. This will aid you in making instant changes to your skiing technique, therefore making it quick and simple to improve.
2. Comprehensive data analysis: Carv’s thin, pressure sensitive insoles are equipped with multiple sensors that capture thousands of data points per second. The app then uses the data to analyse different metrics.
3. Progress tracking: It not only gathers data, but also tracks your progress over time, allowing you to see the improvement in your skiing technique.
1. Terrain: Carv is currently optimised for piste skiing, - however, we have made big leaps to adapt the Ski:IQ system to multiple types of terrain. Stay posted!
2. Earphones are required: To receive the live feedback it is vital for you to wear your earphones whilst skiing, which may be an inconvenience for some people.
It's an investment. Carv is a serious piece of technology, the sensors are incredibly accurate, but it means that the product requires a device cost up front of around $199/£199. The app is constantly evolving every winter, and so it is structured as a membership with 3 kinds of pass, designed to cater to your skiing:
1. 6 Day Pass: If you're a casual skier who enjoys hitting the slopes a few times a year, the 6 Day Pass might be the perfect fit for you.
2. Unlimited Pass: For the avid skier who intends to spend a considerable amount of time on the slopes throughout the year, the Unlimited Pass offers incredible. You'll get personalized data-driven coaching all year for hte price of one lesson.
3. Unlimited Two-Year Pass: This membership offers the same unlimited access as the annual Unlimited Pass but gives you a saving for buying two years up front.
2. GoPro Hero 11
How does it work?
The GoPro Hero 11 is a versatile and high performance action camera designed for capturing an array of different sports and activities from skiing and snowboarding in the alps to surfing in Morocco.
GoPro’s best features:
1. High Resolution camera- offers capture 4K, 5K, and even 8K video footage, this allows for beautiful high resolution videos and for beautiful stunning image clarity. Especially optimised for vertical and social-native formats.
2. Made to withstand an array of different environments- they have a rugged build and are often waterproof, and therefore easy to use in the most extreme of conditions.
3. Stabilisation technology- Many Go Pro products feature advanced stabilisation technology, ensuring smooth and steady video footage. This reduces camera shakes and vibrations. This results in professional-quality stabilisation without the need for other camera equipment.
1. GoPros have limited battery life, especially when shooting in higher resolutions and using advanced features like stabilisation. The new cold-adapted batteries are helpful - and are the ones we'd recommend.
2. They have limited zoom capability- usually fixed with a wide angle lens, which does mean the zoom capability is limited compared to traditional cameras. So you'll have to ski closer in a 'follow cam', or use a 30ft pole to get the killer shot
3. Limited manual controls- the camera prioritises simplicity and ease of use, so this does mean they do have limited manual control.
At £349.99, the Hero 11 Black is priced in line with previous models on launch, making it accessible to a broad range of users who crave high-quality action camera footage. Given what you're getting here, this pricing strikes a balance between affordability and premium features, ensuring that users get the best value for their money. We'll be buying one for the Carv team shoots.
3. Mammut Tour 40 removable airbag
How does it work?
One for the serious skiers. It is an avalanche backpack, equipped with an airbag system. It is important to note that it is an avalanche safety tool, which should be used with the appropriate training, knowledge and decision making for backcountry safety.
Mammut’s best features:
1. Customisable fit and comfort: The Tour 40 is fitted with adjustable straps, back panels, and hip belts. The ergonomic design and padding provide comfort and stability during back country adventures.
2. Durable and weather resistant- it is built with durable materials so they are ready for any weather condition, this will ensure your gear stays dry.
1. No Guarantees: Like all avalanche equipment, it can give no guarantee of your safety. Proper avalanche education, terrain assessment and decision making remain crucial.
2. It does require training and practice: It is vital to proactive using this tool.
3. Weight and bulk: Avalanche bags do add weight and bulk to your backpack setup. This can affect your mobility and comfort during skiing adventures.
At £600, the Mammut Tour 40 Removable Airbag 3.0 is positioned as a premium safety device within the outdoor gear market. While the price may seem substantial, it reflects the advanced technology, rigorous testing, and life-saving potential that this piece of equipment brings to the table.
4. Theragun Mini
How does it work?
Perhaps the ultimate gift (after Carv of course)? The Theragun is a cutting-edge percussive therapy device that has revolutionized the way individuals address muscle pain, tension, and recovery. After all that Carv-driven improvement, the legs are going to be feeling it.
The Theragun employs high-frequency, high-amplitude vibrations to provide deep and targeted muscle treatment, making it a popular choice among athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and individuals seeking relief from muscle soreness.
If you're still unsure, our friends at Ski Mag have explored this gadget further: Ski Mag: Are Those Theraguns Actually Sex Toys?
Theragun’s Best Features:
1. Powerful Percussive Therapy: The Theragun's most prominent feature is its powerful percussive therapy mechanism. It delivers rapid, penetrating pulses to the muscles, effectively loosening knots and reducing muscle stiffness. Users can adjust the intensity and speed settings to cater to their specific recovery needs.
2. Ergonomic Design: Designed with user comfort in mind: the Theragun boasts an ergonomic design. Its handle is easy to grip, and the adjustable arm angles allow users to reach even the most challenging muscle areas without straining. This design ensures that individuals can effectively target and treat various muscle groups.
3. Portability and Long Battery Life: The Theragun's portability is a key advantage. It is compact and lightweight, making it suitable for use on the go. With an extended battery life, users can enjoy multiple sessions without needing frequent recharges. This makes it convenient for travel, gym use, or at-home therapy sessions.
1. Price Point: One notable drawback of the Theragun is its relatively high price point. While it offers exceptional performance and features, it may not be affordable for everyone, particularly those with budget constraints.
2. Noise Level: The Theragun's powerful motor generates significant noise during operation. Although newer models have improved in this regard, it is still noisier than some competitors. This may be a consideration for users who require quiet therapy sessions or plan to use it in shared spaces.
The Theragun is available in various models, each with its own pricing structure. Prices typically range from £299 to £599, depending on the specific model and included accessories. It's important to note that while the Theragun is an investment, its advanced percussive therapy technology and durability make it a valuable tool for those prioritising muscle recovery and pain relief in their fitness and wellness routines.
5. Airpods Pro:
How does it work?
At Carv we LOVE the AirPods Pro. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Airpods Pro is Apple's premium wireless earbud offering, taking audio technology to new heights. What better tool to hear the dulcet tones of Carv's real-time coaching.
But, perhaps more importantly for skiers, they have transparency mode - which means you can hear skiers around you. Which is why they're our team pick for earbud of choice.
These earbuds are designed to deliver immersive sound, active noise cancellation, and a comfortable fit, making them a popular choice, not only for music enthusiasts, but also for sporting adventures. They are a great option for keeping you pumped and ready to go while on the mountain. Here is a list of our Best headphones for ski helmets.
Airpod Pro's Best Features:
1. Transparency Mode: One of the standout features of the AirPods Pro is their active noise cancellation technology. But for skiing, the transparency mode is the killer feature - you can hear whats going on around you - the sound of your skis on snow, the people speeding past, and your friends calling you to turn off the run into that tree glade. All while hearing Carv's tips or your music. Perfect.
2. Customisable Fit: The AirPods Pro come with three different sizes of soft, silicone ear tips, allowing users to find the perfect fit for their ears. This not only ensures comfort during extended wear but also enhances sound quality by creating an excellent seal.
3. Adaptive EQ and High-Quality Sound: These earbuds feature Adaptive EQ, which automatically tunes the audio to the shape of your ears, delivering a rich and balanced sound experience. With high-quality audio codecs, the AirPods Pro provide clear and detailed sound across various genres of music.
Airpod pro's Limitations:
1. Premium Price: One notable disadvantage of the AirPods Pro is their premium price tag. As a high-end product in the wireless earbud market, they may be cost-prohibitive for some consumers, especially when compared to other wireless earbuds with similar features.
2. Limited Compatibility: While the AirPods Pro are seamlessly integrated with Apple devices, they may not offer the same level of functionality with non-Apple devices. Some features, such as quick pairing and Siri integration, may be limited when used with non-Apple products.
AirPods Pro Pricing: The AirPods Pro are available at a premium price point, typically ranging from £249 to £279, depending on any ongoing promotions or bundled accessories. While they may come at a higher cost, their advanced features, audio quality, and integration with the Apple ecosystem make them a sought-after choice for those who prioritize an exceptional wireless audio experience.
In the world of skiing, having the right gadgets can elevate your experience to new heights. Whether you're a casual skier, a backcountry adventurer, or a tech-savvy enthusiast, there's a ski gadget tailored to your needs.
Carv is ideal for skiers committed to honing their technique, offering real-time audio feedback and data analysis to elevate their skiing skills. We'd definitely start there - other gadgets are great, but they can't claim to actaully make you a better skier. And yes it actually works like we say.
The GoPro Hero 11 is tailor-made for adventure seekers and content creators, boasting high-resolution video capture and rugged durability for documenting thrilling outdoor escapades.
Safety-conscious backcountry skiers should consider the Mammut Tour 40 Removable Airbag 3.0, an essential tool for avalanche safety, provided they have proper training and decision-making skills.
For athletes, fitness enthusiasts, or those seeking post-ski muscle relief, the Theragun Mini's powerful percussive therapy provides quick recovery and maintains peak physical condition. Lastly, AirPods Pro cater to music-loving skiers who appreciate premium sound quality and transparency mode, delivering an immersive audio experience that enhances the skiing experience safely..
All of the items chosen above make exceptional ski gadgets (and even gifts) for those looking to bring some tech magic to their next trip.
Really, the best ski gadget for you depends on your skiing goals and preferences. Whether you're seeking improved technique, safety in the backcountry, high-quality video capture, muscle recovery, or an immersive audio experience, there's a gadget to match your needs. As you gear up for the 2023/24 ski season, consider how these gadgets can enhance your skiing adventures and make you the best skier you can be. Whether you buy just one or all five, we hope this has given you some inspiration for the season to come!
Written by: Team Carv